Name : Dicentra spectabilis
Height : 20 to 60 cm
Exposure: Partial shade
Soil: Ordinary, well-drained
Flowering: May to August
Maintenance, from planting to flowering is relatively easy and the decorative effect quite exceptional.
Plantation of the Heart of Mary
The heart of Mary is planted in the spring or in the fall for the subjects purchased in buckets.
Nevertheless, prefer planting in the fall to encourage rooting before winter. If you plant in the spring, avoid periods of frost.
Once properly installed, Mary’s heart requires relatively little care. Successful planting is therefore important.
- Marie’s heart thrives in partial shade and is sheltered from cool winds
- Respect a spacing of 40 cm between each foot
- Prefer a rich soil like compost and well drained
- Keep the soil cool with mulch, especially during the summer, this is guarantee prolonged flowering
- Water regularly in the following spring and summer the first year after planting
You can easily multiply your heart of Marie by dividing the clump in the fall.